Registration FAQ (West Lorne Comets)

PrintRegistration FAQ

How do we Register?

Registration typically opens in May and closes mid- July. Visit the Registration page for more information.


Registration is completed online.  A copy of the child’s birth certificate must be provided.  For new registrants, a parent must also complete the online Respect in Sport course prior to the beginning of the season (requirement for every hockey family in Ontario).


What are the Registration Fees?

 Season fees are posted when registration opens.  Payments are accepted online via credit card, or if pre-arrangements are made with the Registrar, payment can be made via e-transfer or cheque. Payment plans & subsidy programs are also available.


West Lorne Minor Hockey also works with Gooday Let’s Play, a non-profit organization committed to helping kids participate in organized minor hockey.  Support consists of funding for all or a portion of the registration fee for children that are first year registrants in the Initiation Program. 


What are the Registration Options?

Competitive (REP) and Local/House League (LL) registration is available for most divisions, depending on annual registration numbers.  

In order to play in the Rep league, the player must reside within WLMHA boundaries, and be selected by the Head Coach of the Rep team during a tryout.  

Players on local/house league teams are guaranteed a spot on a team no matter their skill or place of residence. 

While both teams enjoy hockey and learning new skills, rep teams tend to be more skilled and travel further for games, and have additional ice time each week.  Rep team players are also required to pay an additional Rep fee over and above the base registration. Rep hockey team registration require tryouts and associated try out fees. West Lorne rep teams as classed as "D" teams, and typically play in Shamrock Hockey League.


House League teams play games within approximately 1 hour travel time of West Lorne, in Four Counties Hockey League. 


What Division and Classification is WLMHA?

WLMHA follows the Ontario Minor Hockey Association – Hockey Canada Player Pathways for U9 and below.  Game play at U9 and below is Cross/Half Ice.  This allows for a finer development of the basic skills of hockey, and the development and encouragement of the concepts of playing as a team.  U9 division plays Half-Ice games for the first half of the season, and transitions to full-ice in the second half of the season.

West Lorne Minor Hockey Association is a D classification by OMHA.


What is the expected play for my child?

The season usually runs from the fall to the end of March.  Season start and end dates are variable and depend on the league and ice installation/removals by the municipality.


Typical weekly ice time for each team includes:

·         1 weeknight practice (50 mins)

·         1 weekend practice or game (50 mins)


Additional ice times are available and will be designated to teams for on-ice skills clinics, and additional practices as needed. Tournaments are also available.  


The ability to skate is strongly encouraged, so the child can focus on learning hockey basics and team play.  West Lorne Skating Club does offer a Learn to Skate Stream/Can Skate that can be helpful as additional support for the child.


What equipment does my child need?

For the full list of equipment, please refer to the OMHA Equipment List.  Equipment can be purchased new or used at Herms Sport Exchange in London.

Team Jerseys and uniform socks are provided by West Lorne Minor Hockey.


What is the volunteer fee?

Registration fees include volunteer fees.  Volunteers are very important to keep our hockey association running.  The fees are reimbursable upon completion of a parent volunteering the required hours.  


What are the fundraising requirements?

Registration also includes fundraising fees, which are reimbursable at the completion of fundraising.  For many years, this has included the West Lorne Minor Hockey Raffle and the selling of tickets to get your fundraising fee reimbursed.  

What qualifications do I need to be involved in my child's team?
There are volunteer opportunities as Coach, Assistant Coach, and Trainer for each team. 

Additional volunteer opportunities such as Team Manager/Parent Rep and Jersey Parent (for teams U11 and up).

Please note – information above is subject to changes annually depending on registration numbers and league rules.


Additional questions?  Please email the Registrar at [email protected]